Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How to create custom run commands in Windows

After using Linux for almost 7 years, I had to switch to Windows due to trade reasons.
I remember using windows during my B.Tech days (both win 98 and winXP).
I used to burn the midnight oil researching about Windows, tweaking the windows registry,
installing windows .....
I got too much used to command line in Linux that even after a couple of weeks of using
windows, I tend to press at+f2 ;)
To quench the thirst of using commands, I started to create shortcuts for frequently used
programs so that we can run our own run command.
And thought of sharing this for few might find it useful. Any suggestions are also welcome.

1. Create the shortcut for the program or folder.(Say we are trying to create a command for Mozilla Firefox)
2. Open the run command and type \Windows
3. Paste the shortcut to the Windows folder
4. Rename the shortcut to the command name you want to assign the shortcut to(say firefox).
Now you can type Window+R and type the above assigned command name.

For example: The shortcut to Mozilla Firefox can be renamed to firefox.

And that's it. Typing the command in the run bar will start firefox. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment